Lentil soup with whole grain bread and mixed greens salad
- 1 cup dried green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large pot, sauté the onion, carrots, and celery over medium-high heat until the vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic to the pot and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the rinsed and drained lentils, vegetable broth, diced tomatoes (including their juices), and dried thyme to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the mixed greens salad. In a large bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar and olive oil to make the dressing. Add the mixed greens to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Toast the slices of whole grain bread.
- To serve, divide the lentil soup among four bowls and serve with one slice of whole grain toast. Serve the mixed greens salad on the side.
Calorie Breakdown: This recipe makes 4 servings, and each serving contains approximately:
- 400 calories
- 18g protein
- 65g carbohydrates
- 9g fat
- 17g fiber
Note: Calorie count may vary depending on the specific ingredients and serving size.